Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Tunnel Marathon

This past weekend I ran my main race for the year – the Tunnel Marathon in North Bend, WA. What an incredible experience! I don’t mean just the marathon itself, but everything around it – the training, the preparation, the rituals of getting ready, the beauty of the course. A lot of this I’ve written about previously - still the finish and experience spawned so many new reflections. You’ll read about all of it soon.

Officially this was my second marathon finish, the first was the Seattle Marathon in 1996 after just 6 weeks of training and a painful 4 ½ hours of alternating between running and walking resulting in incredibly sore ankles, knees, and hips. Clearly not a good way to prepare. This time around I have 14 months of running behind me, besides so many years of athletic endeavors. It some ways it felt like every bit of that experience came right into being all at once for 3 hours.

Early in the year I choose the Greenland 50K in early May as a key race. It became clear about a month before that I wasn’t ready yet for that distance. I wanted a race to focus on and thought a marathon would be a great choice to ramp up to. After some searching I found the perfect race – a downhill, trail marathon, at lower elevation, on the edge of the Cascade Mountains near Seattle where I’d lived for 15 years. What a great way to return and enjoy such beautiful country. So I signed up for the Tunnel Marathon with 400 other runners.

This year would be the 5th year for the Tunnel Marathon. It’s named for the old two mile long railroad tunnel that the course goes through near the start. It’s almost perfectly straight and so once you enter you can see the ‘light at the end of the tunnel’ two miles away where the tunnel ends. The course begins at the Hyak trailhead of the John Wayne trailhead. For the next 21 miles the course follows the John Wayne Trail amidst the incredibly magnificent trees and lush beauty and greenness of the Cascades. The last 5 miles are on the Snoqualmie Valley Trail with an ending right at North Bend Way just east of North Bend, WA. Not a car on the entire course and only about 100 meters of actual pavement the entire way.

The race was perfect in so many ways. A beautiful trail. No cars. The weather was stunning at about 50-55 degrees, overcast and even some rain during the rain. It meant it was quite humid as well. I finished completely soaked. The tunnel itself was disorienting to begin with to run in so much darkness with just a headlamp, and then the body and senses settled and it was fabulous. I’ll say it again – the trees and forests and groundcover in Washington are magnificent, so much different from Colorado, so alive and lush. So joyful to run through so much of it. A few spots of great views. A number of high trestles to get the feeling of being in the tops of the trees for a few moments. A small, informal race which I like. So many great volunteers out on the course cheering and offering water; the race director was even able to run with so many great volunteers. When I saw the finish line before the beginning I thought it would be quite odd being just a small spot on the side of the road. It turns out that was perfect too. Small and cozy. Everything with a few steps of each other, which for me was good. Plenty of food including homemade chili, Coke which hit the spot perfectly, first-aid right there, the finish line and announcer. If you didn’t know what was happening, you’d have no idea why there were a couple hundred people on the side of the road.

Two days later I’m still hobbling around and completely sore. It means I ran completely, which was a goal. I didn’t care how long recovery would take, I just wanted to run hard and not end up injured. That’s what I did. More about that later too.

I finished in a time of 3:06:04! Holy cow! I was 21st overall out of almost 400 runners, 19th overall male. In the master category (40+), I was 11th, so if you’re doing some math that means there were more finishers over the age of 40 in the first 20 than under 40! I’m totally thrilled! I’m not much for medals, but I wore mine proudly and hung it on my lamp when I came home.

Enough for now, but more to come …

No comments:

Post a Comment