Sunday, December 30, 2012

It's a Boulder Experience

Here in Boulder, we love our sports, the outdoors, food, our meditation and Christmas is the perfect opportunity to celebrate something of ourselves and Boulder. For many, a short run on the fresh snow from Christmas Eve would be a perfect way to greet the day. Indeed, in many cases that would be my primary choice as well, but as I’m settled into 30 days of yoga, a yoga practice would be the more perfect choice for me on Christmas day.

The Little Yoga Studio in central Boulder seemed to be the only yoga studio in town offering a group practice, so that was where I went. More than thirty of us showed up for this donation based class with funds going towards Western Resource Advocates. This class was to be led by Valerie D’Ambrosio, the founder of the Hanuman Festival here in Boulder, so somewhat of a yoga celebrity in Boulder. As we’re all getting ready, I see someone who looks like Scott Jurek, one of the top ultrarunners in the world, walk in and set up his mat. While I didn’t know many others my name, I seemed to recognize other well known Boulderites as well.

The class itself was amazing with Valerie inviting us to celebrate ourselves and our commitment on this day of offering gifts, either to ourselves or others. In the middle of the class, Valerie put on a couple Christmas classic songs and sent us off dancing. Another great way to celebrate movement and joy together!

I suppose this whole experience would seem odd to many, but
this is Boulder – yoga on Christmas, seeing amazing people, dancing.

Who knows what will happen next!


ps. After class I introduced myself – and sure enough, it was Scott Jurek.

No comments:

Post a Comment