Saturday, March 10, 2012

The First Time


This is somewhat to the post ‘The First 3 Steps’.

When you start running, you’re probably going to be achy for a while. It’s just what happens – and it gets better. It some ways it’s unfortunate that running presents the aches it does because it deters so many people from running when it’s such a simple, natural form of exercise.

The truth is we’re not using to walking and running so it takes time for our bodies to adapt, and our bodies do adapt. We know astronauts in zero-gravity lose bone density, ligaments in women giving birth stretch, lifting weights products muscle. It goes the other way too – eating too much food and we put on weight. Running really sees who has the commitment and persistence to keep going. In some ways that’s even a rite of passage so to speak. Every runner knows the aches of starting and the joy when the body adapts.

When I started running again almost a year ago I felt the aches of a new runner. Shins, ankles, knees, hips, back, shoulders. Not all at once, but I felt something almost every day, either during the run or after. Being a lifelong athlete (but haven’t run consistently for over 20 years), this was even surprising to me. Even my body needed to adapt.  As I write this I wonder why I kept running even when I noticed these aches. They weren’t terrible or debilitating in any way, just annoying. I wanted to run though so I kept running.

I did notice that the aches started to be less, but very slowly.  

Then one day, perhaps four or five months after I started, I was out on a run and I noticed I had no aches anywhere. Everything felt good! I also realized this wasn’t the first time it had happened, just the first time I really noticed it. Since then my runs are usually smooth like this. My body has adapted to being on my feet, to putting in more miles, to stretching where it needs to stretch, strengthening where it needs to be strong. It feels great now!

That first time was a revelation of sorts. A confirmation that the consistency, steady effort and practice had paid off. More than that, running was now even more enjoyable!

So after The First 3 Steps, keep going and know it’s going to take some time. It will get better and you will find the joy of just running!

No comments:

Post a Comment