Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Stopping

Tonight I started listening to a radio program by an astrologer, Debra Silverman. She started by talking about the earthquake in Mexico and how at times of crisis is when we ask for help. She was going to use the idea of asking for help as the theme for her program. I had been thinking about calling in for a reading, but went for a run instead. I wasn’t sure what I would ask for help for.

It’s been a little more than two weeks since my big weekend of running with resulting strains and sore muscles. Very slowly the legs are recovering, but it doesn’t help that I’m still running 35-40 miles a week. I’ve had some amazing runs in the past two weeks, but more than enough that were less-than-comfortable. The first miles of my runs are always my warmup; tonight was no exception, except I wasn’t warming up.

My legs and hips were sore, my breathing was choppy again, my mind was charging along on its own. I was wondering about my 50k coming up in 6 weeks and if I’d be ready. I was wondering how my legs were going to recover. I was wondering how I should structure my the next weeks to deal with my soreness and still train.

And then I had enough. I just stopped, turned off my watch, and turned around to walk home. I knew right then I was not going in the right direction and I didn’t want to keep going that way.

What my body needs is true rest and recovery. If I can still run 40 miles a week, I clearly have enough energy to focus on active recovery.

What my mind needs is to stop ‘training’. I’ve spent years training and structuring, planning out months in advance what I’m going to do. Right now I don’t want to be there. I still want to run faster and farther, but not at the expense of a settled mind.

What my soul needs is to enjoy running fully. I’ve still enjoyed my runs the last couple weeks, but with my body and my mind off in different directions, it hasn’t been the same.

This blog is supposed to be about running. Life happens though and we have to adjust, just like on any run.

So I’m asking for help – something I’m usually not too good at. I don’t know from whom I need help, or even what that help might look like. I’m putting it out there that I’m asking for help. I have faith that whatever comes will be perfect.

In the mean time, I’m going to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment