Thursday, March 1, 2012

Opening the Door

I've signed up for my first ultramarathon run - a 50k in early May. I've done multi-day events and single day hikes of more than 25 miles, but this will be my first run.

On a recent run with my Sunday running group, I was asking for some advice about training. That progressed to the conversation about a 50k 'opening the door'.

For over a decade I participated in ultramarathon cycling and know about 'opening the door'. I've watched many people say I'll just do a 200km ride and then afterwards decide to to the next one, but that's it. After the next one, a 300km, it's the same thing - on to longer and longer. It's not quite an addiction, but somehow we're drawn in. I started that way too.

The 50k is the shortest of the ultramarathon run distances - it's where everyone starts. Right now I'm just interested in finishing this one and seeing how I feel. I'm making no commitments to anything more though I have wondered what a longer run would be like.

But after the 50k is over - the door is open ... maybe I'll walk through, maybe I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment