Sunday, April 1, 2012

A quiet week

It's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, my hometown. Oops - wrong channel.

It's been a couple of quiet weeks in Boulder, my hometown. Let me see if I channel a little Garrison Keillor.

The snow is long gone in Boulder after a record month of warm temperatures and almost no rain. Even the mountains are losing their snow. It's not melting, it's evaporating, the streams are mostly dry already. We all hope and even expect a few more snowstorms to come through, but for now we'll enjoy this amazing spring.
Boulderites are embracing spring already. Runners out in shorts. It seems like opening day has happened up Lefthand Canyon with all the cyclists testing their legs on this popular ride. Pearl Street was especially youthful with students on spring break roaming the walking mall.

The trees and flowers are noticing too. There's already flowers blooming in my yard and up and down the block. Neighbors are out doing yardwork already. Trees are full bloom with incredible arrays of flowers, colors, and scents. Yards are starting to turn green, I've already seen a few sprinklers. The Gunbarrel Open Space and foothills are starting to show their green as well.

How do I know? I've been out running and up in the mountains. Not as much running as I'd like, but I'm getting out a couple times a week. They haven't all been specatular runs, nor have they all had great flow, rhythm, or speed. But they were runs. With fewer runs the time to be in that state seemed a little more precious and joyous from the inside, despite the outer looks.

I'm grateful for a body that's so capable - and so wise. I just have to listen. I'm glad spring is here and I can run in shorts again. I'm enjoying the rest and sitting on my west-facing deck taking in the splendor of the Rockies. I'm reminded to stay humble.

Spring has sprung, at least it has here in Boulder.

That's the news from Boulder. Where all the ... you know the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment