Thursday, May 3, 2012

One Year

About one year ago I started running again. I remember it was the first week of May last year, but I don’t recall a particular date. I ran in high school and college, but then it was quite different. After college it was all about the bike for more than 15 years. Occasionally I’d run, but never the consistency or fun that the last year has been.

What a journey it’s been!

It began with a voice. I remember in the early months of last year I would hear a voice saying ‘go run’. For quite a while I ignored it thinking it sounded crazy. Eventually the voice became louder and more insistent – ‘go run’. I needed to go run. I didn’t know why, but I was certain the voice wasn’t going to go away. So I finally listened and started running.

When I started I knew I hadn’t run in several years and not consistently since college. I’d done some exercise like hauling wood, walking the dogs, but nothing consistent or serious. I had a base of athletic ability, not a running body. With that in mind I made two commitments to myself. The first was to follow the 10% rule, that is not to increase my time by more than 10% from one week to the next.  Starting with just 20 minutes (note even 2 miles) around the neighborhood, I allowed my body to progress and now three hour runs are almost comfortable.

The second was to pay attention to stay healthy (not injured). All in all I’ve done pretty well. I have had a few small injuries along the way and each time I learn a little more about my body. Running is different than cycling and requires more attention to the little things as they seem to magnify themselves more quickly.

The most significant event was attending a workshop last September at Shambhala Mountain Center called Running with the Mind of Meditation and Yoga. It’s been so defining and influential. It was about bringing meditative principles and focus to running. It keeps so much more meaning to running for me. It’s more than just putting one foot in front of another, more than just health. It’s brought a sacredness to running.

It’s been amazing. Patience, new friendships, new trails, new understandings. Listening and learning finer nuances of my body – I’m not 25 anymore. The importance of recovery and rest.  Writing here. Reading some great books and blogs. Gratitude for a healty, strong body. As much as I enjoyed cycling, running is just better.

The voice is long gone, or maybe it’s just satisfied. Still I keep running. The question why comes up in my head and still I don’t feel like I have a complete answer. Part of it is simply that my body likes to be active and outside. It could be landscaping and moving dirt, or it could be running, I just need to move. Part of it is certainly the psychology of pushing edges and seeing what I’m capable of. At one time I was in a proving mode, now it’s simply curiosity. Another piece is the stillness and peace that comes with running. With cycling I experienced something similar, with running it’s deeper. Running engages me on so many levels – physically, psychologically, emotionally, spiritually, connecting to nature and the world.

This is all true and still unfinished. There’s something else beyond all the words, thoughts, and feelings. It’s there, I feel it – that’s why I run.

This journey hasn’t been alone, so here are a few thank yous
  • To Marty, Tarah, and Jon who led the Running with the Mind of Mediation and Yoga workshop at Shambhala last September. They helped to crystallize what I’ve done as a cyclist and swimmer as a way of being on the trail.
  • To Lara who has been a great running partner the past couple months. I’m grateful for who she is and all that’s been shared between us.
  • To the Mindful Runners – Marty, Rock, Smitty, Ted, Clarence, Carlos, Arturo, Peter, Jerry, Glen, Brett, Scott, Matt – who I’ve run with fairly regularly on weekdays.  Such a great group to run with! I’m honored and humbled to run with so many great runners and people.
  • To Shanti, Mike, Kirsten, and Susan for awesome, sustaining, and deep bodywork.
  • To Scott for leading the Boulder Breakfast Runners. What a great group of people to run with so many great trails to explore.
  • All the other great resources for runners around the web.
I'm grateful for the past year. I feel like I’m still getting started with just one year of running and a new way of looking at it. I’m looking forward to what the next year of running offers!

No comments:

Post a Comment