Sunday, August 12, 2012

There are days

There are days when it's more challenging than excepted. Today was one of those days.

Today I ran my third marathon ever at the Honey Stinger Trail Marathon in Steamboat Springs. It was a very well organized event with beautiful and amazing trails. It's no wonder Steamboat is so great for mountain biking. I finished a tough trail marathon course. I feel like I have joined a new club.

Still not my best day. I know they happen. They have happened in the past and they will happen again. It wasn't terrible, in fact in many ways inspiring with many strong, solid moments. I have had so many fantastic runs the benchmark seems pretty high now. 

Today was just simply challenging. Some was my fault like not drinking enough water. Some not, like three tough nights of sleep in a row. Some of it was doubt, like what was I doing out there running at all? Some of it was not being well recovered from the last marathon. Some was not being as prepared and as focused as I can be. Wanting to be fresher and run more - I ended up walking a bunch on sections that were easily runnable, but the body needed the walk. There was never a thought to quit, though perhaps wishing it was over sooner.

Most for this was written in my head during the run, but as I sit here actually writing it down, I feel so much differently. It is so true how memory and perception change so quickly, and reflection and choice are so significant.

I recall a challenging run. A beautiful run. Ferns and lush underbrush like you'd see in the Northwest. New things I tried that worked well, like Using Tailwind Nutrition products and carrying my prayer beads. Inspiration - seeing Lance Armstrong on the start line. A body that struggled and held up well. I'm proud of the run, even with the doubts that still linger in my head.

Often there is a point that stands out from a post or a run. Today it's nothing specific, just thoughts and feelings from another run, one I'm happy I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment