Sunday, August 19, 2012

TransRockies - Stage 2

Stage 2: 13.4 miles with 3200feet of climbing from Vicksburgs over Hope Pass to Twin Lakes. Lowest elevation is at the finish of 9200 feet with a peak elevation of 12500 feet at Hope Pass.

Stage 2 is an entirely different run from Stage 1 - it's a monster straight uphill, followed by a fast descent. And we've reached new heights, literally crossing past 12,000 feet.

Being in a valley and at a higher elevation, the starting temperatures at near 50, which is perfect to me. Again a rolling wave of people ease off at the start line to Highway to Hell. The first two miles are on a road to get the runner spread out before the ascent begins. I usually take 20 minutes or more to warm up so this road start helps me to get the blood moving before the tough stuff starts. My legs are sore, and still feel good. I'm ready for a good run today.

The climb up Hope Pass starts soon enough. From the south side which we are going up, it climbs about 2800 feet in two and a half miles, or an average of more than 20%. It's steep! It's at altitude! And more most people it's pretty much a walk/hike up. There are a few that can run it, but not many. I'm content to walk with a group of people and even with that group I slowly move forward bit by bit. I'm seeing new runners today and I'm pretty sure I'm farther up in the pack today. The lower part of the climb is almost all a beautiful forest of Aspens - really beautiful. As we ascend we cross boulder fields, we reach the thinning evergreens, and eventually are above treeline. Above treeline, we can see the 1000 feet to the pass and the line of runner stretched across the switchbacks. Even as the elevation increase, I'm keeping a steady, strong pace.

The top is amazing to look north and see Twin Lakes, Leadville, and the headwaters area of the Arkansas River. To the south I can see all the runners behind me and the Collegiate Peaks Range stretching south. Amazing and beautiful. It's a bit chilly up here so begin my descent quickly. I've covered that 2.5 mile climb in an hour.
In the next 4 miles we will descend 3000 feet. While the descent isn't as steep as the uphill, it's a challenge. The legs have to make a quick switch from powering up to controlling speed on the downhill. The top is quite steep with some switchbacks making it difficult to get a fast rhythm. As we head down into the trees again the ground is moist and soft - perfect for running. Still you need to pay close attention as there are roots and rocks everywhere. Still it's a blast going downhill! This is one of the reasons I love trail running - it requires full attention to watch every step and be ever present to your body. By mile 9 we have done most of the descending - and my quads are toast!

The last four miles are beautiful - fairly flat and rolling along the Twin Lakes. Soft ground, neat trails, thinner forests. Winding trails. Who wouldn't want to be out running on this?

But my legs are tired and I can feel it. I was starting to catch a few people, but now they are gone. I'm definitely seeing runners I didn't see yesterday. My pace is slowed but I'm still running. I'm starting to learn ultra-speed; that is how to keep running (or maybe the term is shuffling) at a slow, steady pace. That's where I am - ultra-speed making my way to the finish.

I finish in 2:38 - a little bit slower than I had predicted and yet entirely happy with this run. Four years ago this course was similar, but shorter at 10 miles and then I ran 2:43.

The post-race tradition of soaking in cold water continues in Twin Lakes. It feels good on the body. It's also one of the many places on the race to just start a conversation with those enjoying the water as much as you are.

After three long days of running in the last four, I'm starting to feel quite good. My body likes the distance. I'm ready for the last stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment