Sunday, August 19, 2012

TransRockies - Stage 1

Stage 1: 20.8 miles with 2500 feet of climbing from Buena Vista, CO, to the Old Railroad Bridge park. Lowest elevation is at the start of 7900 feet with a peak elevation of 9300 feet.

Stage 1 is known for being hard and hot. It's hard because for many the elevation is a significant difference from where they live and train, and because it's the first stage. The body is ready to go and yet you have to gauge your effort for a week of running.

Despite the elevation at over 8000 feet, it's also usually hot, often in the 80s by the end of the stage, and also because there's very little shade on this course. The area around Buena Vista seems like a high desert even at these elevations. The ground is quite dry and dusty. The trees are short and stubby, often looking twisted by winds.

Even living in Boulder, I remember how challenging the first stage was 4 years ago when I ran. This was a different course - longer and with much more elevation, so I was prepared to start slow and easy. After running a trail marathon two days earlier, it was even more critical for me to start slow. Listenting to that experience, I placed myself towards the back of the pack in the starting chute - ready to run.

The gun went off exactly at 9:00am with Highway to Hell by AC/DC blaring, that song being the traditonal start song played for every start. With that, we were off. There was no rush off the line, this was an ultra after all. Quite different from a traditional race where everyone makes a quite start. Not so here. It was as if we were all going for an easy, long run.

After about a half mile on pavement we crossed a footbridge over the Arkansas River and being our ascent on singletrack. All at once with 350 runners trying to get the same place, we were single file and walking. To me this is perfect - a slow, easy beginning. After another half mile or two, we emerged on a forest road heading uphill. It's a little cooler than normal this morning after rain the day before and I settled into a nice rhythm. Slowly I begin passing people and with each one offer a 'nice job' or 'good morning'. In a few miles we are on a singletrack again and really start heading upwards. Still I'm making good progress. At mile 7.5, we've reached the peak elevation for the day at 9300 feet and this is where the first aid station is. I believe I passed through this in about 80 minutes which I've very happy with. I grab some Coke and water and keep moving.

The sun is edging its way up in the sky and I'm starting to notice the heat a little. Most of the next 4 miles is downhill and I just float along enjoying the pull of gravity. Through this stretch I'm starting to settle in with a group around me. We pass each other - some faster and smoother on the downhill, some capable of a faster uphill. I'm feeling comfortable and running well, not pushing it at all knowing there's still a ways to go today and two more days of running. The next stretch is rolling trails, some singletrack, some ATV trails, some forest roads, all still dry and dusty.

At mile 17 we reached the last aid station and we are back near 8000 feet on a road that parallels the Arkansas River. I am near the 3 hour mark, which has been a benchmark for me for training, so I'm now stretching my normal marks. The last 4 miles for the day are tough - a gradual 1-2% steady uphill, a noon sun, no shade, and some tired legs. I do a lot of walking even in this last stretch unable to find a good rhythm to hold on to - either too fast or walking. I worry a little bit that the other days will be like this feeling like this on Day 1. Still I know this is one of the tougher days.

After 3:28 I finish holding a 10:00/mile pace. Meanwhile, the first runners have cruised the course in under 2 hours - amazing! I've done well and am happy with my run. I had much better pacing and intentions for this run, especially after the last run which was such a challenge.

It's traditional to fit the nearest cold water and sit/stand in that for 20-30 minutes after the stage. Sort of like nature's own ice bath to cool the body and flush the legs of the soreness. Today it was the Arkansas River right at the finish. It's quite a sight to see so many people just sitting in cold water, but it really does feel good.

I'm happy with Stage 1 and ready for Stage 2 over Hope Pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment