Sunday, June 24, 2012

Finding the natural rhythm

The last three weeks may Friday run has been a a pacing run. The goal has been to maintain a consistent, strong pace for about 40 minutes. It has not been as easy as I would have thought. Over the past year I have done a lot of running while running a pace that felt good.

During the past two Friday runs I have had trouble holding the designated pace. In fact the thought that went through my head was 'this pace doesn't feel natural'. It wasn't a pace I'd normally run at. my body either wanted to go faster or slower.
As I started my pacing run this past Friday, the same thought came back. It was followed by another thought of this workout isn't going to work and have the proper effect if I let that thought continue.

Instead I knew I needed to find a new way to approach this. How did I want to run? I wanted to run and have it feel natural and have a good rhythm. So that's where I went - 'find the natural rhythm in this pace.' Almost as soon as that intention and idea came forward, everything about the run changed. My breathing eased, my stride opened up, there was more bounce in my footfalls, my mind quieted. The run was suddenly a gift!

It occurred to me that life can be similar. We End up in situations that are not ideal or even close. And we struggle trying to change it. What if instead we found the goodness, the naturalness, the rhythm in each moment. Our energy would improve and we would be more in a flow state, instead of a flight or fight mode.

I'm looking forward to practicing finding the natural rhythm!

No comments:

Post a Comment