Sunday, June 24, 2012

Impressions

Tonight I landed in Graz, Austria, for a business trip to work with some of my colleagues here in Graz. After arriving at the hotel the first thing I did was put on my running shoes, check a map, and head out the door. I've heard many a runner say that it's a great way to get a feel for a new place and to reset after a long flight. I've never done it so I thought I'd give it a try.

While most posts are about runs, this one will simply  be impressions of Graz, Austria, from the point of view of a first run in a new place.

The first thing I noticed was the humidity; Boulder has been incredibly dry so any moisture in the air feels humid. Next was there was air! Graz is 4000 feet below Boulder and it's quite noticable. I charted a route that would take me to the Mur River and I figured there's be a path there to run along so that's where I headed. The streets were typical European with older buildings several stories tall. All different colors. The smaller European cars darted here and there.

After just a mile I found the river and a beautiful park. What a great sight! Lots of people, beautiful green, and mellow sound of the river. I started down the path and soon heard and saw a band playing along with food tents set up in the park. What the heck - I stopped and listened for a little bit. I believe it was a Middle-Eastern band - the language definitely wasn't German and there were melodies and influences from the little I know of Middle-Eastern music. Kids danced on the stage as if they belonged there and no one cared. Large circles of people dancing were in front of the stage. Holding hands, smiling, all ages, doing what looked like traditional steps. What a great community event; I'm sure there was hundreds of these happening all over the world on this Sunday night bringing peopletogether.

I had to learn the rules too. Should I wait at stoplights for the light to change - that one is a yes, everyone does. When I pass should I say on your left (or the German equivalent) - that's a no. Where should I run, the bike lane or pedestrian lane - I never did figure that one out, but ran in the pedestrian lane.

The people aren't so much for smiles or waves or eye contact, still they are friendly and have a sweet respect for each other. Walkers, runners, cyclists, roller bladers, even someone keeping a hula hoop going as she moseyed down the path. Plenty of playground equipment for kids, a lot of which looked like so much fun and the kind you won't find the U.S. anymore. No one in a hurry, almost like they were being with the river and matching its flow. I remember a woman on rollerblades as if it was second nature to her; and I can only presume a boyfriend behind her struggling to keep up. Friends sharing conversation, families strolling together.

While I didn't start out looking for a rhythm here, as my post from earlier would have talked about. That's exactly what happened though. I found my rhythm here in a new place. Yes, I was a visitor, but not a foreigner. I felt completely at home here. What a great welcome to Graz.

No comments:

Post a Comment