Saturday, June 9, 2012

Ninety-what?

The plan for today’s run was to meet my friend Dina at for a 15 mile run in the Boulder Ranch Open Space this afternoon. Dina’s training for her first 50-miler in a few weeks so our run was going to be her cooldown after her 20 miler in the morning. A midsummer afternoon run in Boulder is usually met with temperatures well into the nineties, however an early June midafternoon is usually in the 80s. I much prefer cooler temperatures and for this one I was going to consider this an experiment – what’s it like to run in hot weather. A chance to keep a slow steady pace, monitor nutrition and fluid, see how my body does.

Boulder has different ideas about the weather, opting for what I would guess is a record for the day. As I set out to meet Dina after 2pm, the temperature in my car said 98 degrees! Yikes – it was a little warmer than I hoped. It was just plain hot! Alright, let’s see what happens. Because of the heat we decided to shorten the run to just one loop of the Boulder Reservoir. I’m quite glad we did because this was hot. Even after a couple miles I had to walk for a bit, I had definitely reached a limit today. Dina on the other hand was running along just fine even with more than 20 milers in her legs, she’s definitely ready for her 50 miler.

I’m glad we went for a short run, and now I know I probably won’t do that again ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Despite the blazing hot temp, it was fun for me to 'slosh' with ya and have your company. By the way, I tried the tip you provided and I'm all set for my last long-ish run tomorrow (before the 50 miler) slosh-free. Thanks, Jake. Oh, and you are going to rock your upcoming race!

    ReplyDelete